2/16/2009

Wikipedia as basis for new Chinese dictionary?

A very, very interesting post over at Random Stuff that Matters about the author's experimentation with hacking Wikipedia into an awesomely powerful Chinese dictionary. I myself use Wikipedia extensively as a Chinese study aid, though my technical know-how is so limited, I could not even imagine how I could make use of this stuff. But this is an exciting direction for developing Chinese tools, first because it's in expanding dictionaries to include the vast store of technical terms, people and pop culture shit that just doesn't exist in any dictionary on the market and secondly, because in the spirit of Wikipedia it's being shared and open-sourced by creative minds like Stian of RSTM.

No comments:

 
China Student Blog is the intellectual property of Dylan Sherlock. Please feel free share anything you find here,
provided you give proper attribution and a hyperlink back to the original article.